Program Length: 3-5 Years
About This Program
If you are a non-U.S. citizen with teaching experience, this program offers you a valuable opportunity to learn different methods of teaching while also bringing an important international perspective to young students. This program is designed for the exchange of different teaching methodologies with other teachers, and the opportunity to teach a classroom of American children much more than basic education. The program provides a rare chance to share your country’s culture and heritage, exposing American students to the ideas of international inclusion and tolerance, and enabling them to think with a greater world perspective.
Teaching is a special profession. It gives you unlimited potential to influence and impact young lives. Alliance Abroad Group helps teachers broaden the world view of today’s American youth through matching excellent and inspired teaching professionals with accredited host schools across the U.S. We carefully check each school to ensure that they are not only accredited institutions, but that they are in full compliance with Department of State regulations. This means you can focus on teaching while we focus on finding the right fit for the next step in your educational career.
What will I be doing?
In addition to teaching, you will be facilitating cross cultural exchange between your U.S. classroom and your home country. Once a year you will organize a day or activity that highlights your culture and allows for your U.S. students to have a dialogue (through virtual exchange or other means) with students in your home country. The Teacher Exchange Program enables international educators to utilize their knowledge to help build the critical and analytical skills of our youth, and to personally showcase the value of cultural exchange.
You will be teaching full-time within the American educational school system, working directly with young students, exchanging teaching methodologies with other teachers, and reporting to your supervisor-teacher and principal.
"This Teachers Exchange program gives me a lot of opportunities and expands my horizons. It helps me to explore the world and taught me a lot about life and gives me the opportunity to understand and experience other’s cultures. […] I shall say I am so grateful being a part of this AAG program."
- Corazon Gatbonton - Philippines
- Must be working as a teacher outside of the U.S.
- If not currently teaching, within 12 months of applying for program, must have or will have received an advanced degree (beyond a U.S. bachelor’s) in education or in the subject matter you intend to teach
- Must have at least 2 years full-time teaching experience
- Must be fluent in the English language
- Must meet the qualification for teaching at the primary or secondary levels in schools in your home country
- Must be of good reputation and character
- Must meet the eligibility standards of the U.S. state in which you will teach to include any required criminal background checks
What This Program Includes
Position secured before arriving in the U.S. so you know exactly where you are going and start earning right away.
Resume and Interview Preparation
We help you with your resume and interview preparation so you make a great first impression and land the right job.
We work with you in advance to prepare you for your adventure in the U.S. and provide you with an orientation about what to expect.
Guidance on visa requirements and travel medical insurance.
Customized Training Plan
We work with your employer to ensure the training plan is a unique experience and highlights all the skills and methodologies you will learn while on the program.
24/7 emergency support from our U.S. based support teams
Help with obtaining needed tax file number and referral for tax support through Sprintax.
Teacher Exchange Full Placement
First Time Program
Teacher Exchange Self Placement
First Time Program
Program Renewal Fee
Annual fee due in May of each program year
- Program application processing and guidance throughout application process
- Program eligibility screening including sponsor English interview
- Detailed resume review and feedback
- Teach placement matching with an accredited U.S. Host School
- Host School interview coordination
- Host School application processing
- Placement vetting
- DS-2019 processing and issuance
- Visa sponsorship
- Detailed information on Embassy appointment
- Pre-arrival instructions and materials
- Pre Departure Orientation
- SEVIS check in and ongoing record maintenance
- Medical insurance coverage for the first 90 days of program and emergency medical evacuation and repatriation coverage for the duration ofthe J-1 program
- Access to AAG’s Participant Portal with program guidance and helpful tools
- Support from dedicated Outreach Coordinator
- 24/7 emergency support for entire program
- Reminder and review of required participant annual report
- Administrative costs
- SEVIS Fee ($220 USD)
- Visa Interview Fee ($160)
- Foreign Credential Evaluation Fees ($200-$400, depending on number of transcripts being evaluated)
- Criminal Background Check (varies by location, see some examples below.)
- AZ – ~ $70
- CO – ~ $60
- NV – ~ $160
- TX – ~ $60
For most accurate cost per state, please check state’s website
- Airfare to and from the U.S.
- Program Renewal Fee ($1,000 annually – see details below)
- Program Extension Fee during 3rd year of program ($367 paid to the U.S. Department of State)
- J-2 Dependent Application Fee ($500 per dependent)
- Medical Insurance after first 90 days (varies, based on insurance options provided by the school)
- State Teacher Certification/Licensure Costs (varies by location, see some examples below)
- AZ – ~ $70
- CO – ~ $100
- NV – ~ $70
- TX – ~ $170
For most accurate cost per state, please check the State’s Department of Education website.
State Tests that are required as part of the State Certification process are usually an additional cost that ranges between $60-$140.
Housing, transportation, meals, and personal expenses. For additional information about these expenses, please click below
Fees specific to your placement will be outlined in the Alliance Abroad Program Disclosure Document.
Alliance Abroad advises that you bring at least $2,000 to the U.S. to cover your initial living expenses prior to receiving your first paycheck. Please note that the recommended amount does not include housing expenses.
Prices can change without notice
Approx. Program Living Expenses
$750 – $1,500
$250 – $500
$750 – $1,000
Costs will depend on location/consumption
Fees specific to your placement will be outlined in the Alliance Abroad Renewal Program Disclosure Document.
Alliance Abroad advises that you bring at least $2,000 to the U.S. to cover your initial living expenses prior to receiving your first paycheck. Please note that the recommended amount of $3,000 does not include housing expenses. The fees below are approximate and will vary based on your location, and consumption.